March 25, 2013

A Little Hope and June Finishes

I have my first finishes for 2013. I haven't had a whole lot of time to get stitching done, since the majority of this year was taken up with the caregiving of my mother, who passed away on March 21st. She saw the beginning of June and also saw me struggle over trying to do "Hope" one over one on 32 count linen and finally give up in frustration. I know she would be proud of these finishes. I hope she can see what I've accomplished from her quilting room in heaven.

Little House Needleworks "Hope"

Country Cottage Needleworks "June"

Both of these finishes are part of year long stitch alongs. The Country Cottage SAL was started in 2012 and so I am a bit late, but at least I am halfway through the year. I am doing well with the Stitching the Flock stitch along, since I don't yet have the second "virtue" to stitch.

I am doing the flock on one piece of 30 count R&R Reproductions fabric (the color of which has now flown right out of my mind). I am planning on getting all of them stitched and then deciding whether to have them cut and made into little pillows, as Vonna is doing, or have the entire twelve months of virtues framed. I'm running out of wall space in my house. Since my mother passed away March 21st, I have even less wall space, as I brought home many quilts and wall hangings from her house. One of the quilts she left me was made by my great great grandmother in the 1850's and I am so fortunate that she left it to me. The only problem is what to do with it, as it is very fragile. Mom thought it would be a good idea to see if the Smithsonian would take it for their quilt exhibit and asked me to follow up with the person who is in charge of curating that exhibit. I am torn, because I want the quilt to stay in the family, but it's more important to follow my mother's wishes and how cool would it be to have a quilt in the Smithsonian that was made in your family? I'm just not quite ready to let anything of my mother's go yet.

Ben is planning on moving out when he graduates in May with his associates degree, which will free up a room upstairs. I had planned on moving Jamie to Ben's room (since I had promised it to him - it's a large room with a bathroom) and taking Jamie's room as my sewing room, but I am kind of enjoying using what used to be the dining room as my sewing/writing room. So we shall see what the upstairs turns into.

I am off to work on my Hardanger piece for my Wednesday group. I am very much behind after spending so much of the beginning of the year in South Carolina. I am finding stitching to be very therapeautic, although part of my grieving process seems to be falling asleep all the time. I think I've found the cure to insomnia. I don't think it's a bad thing to sleep your grief away until you can handle it.

Happy stitching and I hope to have a Hardanger update shortly!


 

7 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry to hear about your mother; you and your family are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope and June cottage look wonderful! Congratulations on the nice finishes. I'm sure your son is excited to be moving into his brother's room with his own bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your loss, as you say it is still too soon to make any decisions on what to do with the quilt. Hugs and positive thoughts for you and all your family x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for your loss Chelle. Sending hugs and happy thoughts your way. Congrats on the finishes. They turned out great.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure she sent you the determination to finish these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your mum. Thinking of you and your familly in this hard time xx Lovely stitching on both projects. xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts for me. I love comments and suggestions!